Please bring your piece/s of writing to the meeting. Please write your name and a title on each piece. Our president, Shirley Dodding, with helpers, will put them on clipboards and organize them for the meeting. Thank you. This is a great opportunity. I look forward to it.
Meeting location: Willow Room, North Shore Community Centre on Cottonwood, North Kamloops.
A fun event for a good cause. Please come if you can. Kamloops authors will be there with an exciting bunch of books they’ve written.
Some IAG members’ books were offered for sale at the Kamloops Artisan Market at 115 Tranquille. Sadly this market has been discontinued. However, the IAG will participate in the market at Saint Andrews on the Square Saturday morning August 4–and hopefully at other markets in the future.
Author table at Kamloops Artisan Market today. Alex McGilvery & T.D. Roth putting up a tent. The market is at the Wilson Street House, 115 Tranquille this spring & summer from 3 to 7 every Friday. Drop in! If you’d like to sell books there, contact Alex McGilvery at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Coming April 28 to North Kamloops Library: Canadian history, mystery, & adventure. It would be great to see you there.
Icelandic Festival of Manitoba invites submissions of poetry and short stories. You don’t need to be of Icelandic descent to submit. https://www.icelandicfestival.com/festival-events/contests/poetry-short-stories
How do you describe your book if you’re writing to a publisher about possibly publishing it? Good article here: https://tinyurl.com/y7fub56d . Author Sylvia Taylor will speak about building better query letters at the Okanagan Valley Writers Festival. It happens April 6-8 in Penticton, BC. More info at https://okanaganvalleywritersfestival.com/ . I [Elma Schemenauer] will speak at the same Festival. It would be great to see you there.
The Spring Equinox is fast approaching. So is the March 21 deadline for the 2018 Dr. Robert and Elma Schemenauer Writing Awards. Details below. For more info and to read the winning entries from 2017 and 2016, please visit. http://elmams.wixsite.com/awards .
TWO CATEGORIES OF AWARDS
- Writing with a Kamloops Theme
- Writing Showing an Appreciation of Nature
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO ENTER
Each award will be issued annually to a member in good standing of the Interior Authors Group based in Kamloops, BC. There is no fee to enter. To join the Interior Authors Group, please visit https://interiorauthorsgroup.wordpress.com/join/ . Or mail a check for $35 (made out to Interior Authors Group) to 845 Gleneagles Drive, Kamloops, BC, V2E 1K2. Please include your contact information including e-mail address if you have one. You will receive a receipt.
AN AWARD WILL CONSIST OF
– a certificate and a press release issued to local media announcing the winner
– a cash award of $200 to the recipient
– a cash award of $100 to the Interior Authors Group to support the growth and educational activities of the IAG
SUBMISSIONS MUST BE
– sent before midnight 21 March 2017
– a short story, poem, article, essay, or other form of writing where an understanding and appreciation of the category’s topic is clearly incorporated and expressed (EITHER Kamloops-Themed or Nature-Themed). Ideologically driven and advocacy messages will not be considered.
– an original work that is unpublished in print or digital form
– a different work for each category (maximum one submission per author per category)
– clearly identified–include at top of first page of each submission the title, author’s name, and email address or telephone number
-accompanied by a picture of yourself if possible (to be sent with the press release if you win)
– submitted electronically in a Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format with EITHER the words Award Kamloops or the words Award Nature in the subject line
E-MAIL SUBMISSIONS TO
GRANTING OF THE AWARD
The next award winners will be announced at the summer social of the IAG in 2018. Names of those making submissions will not be announced and the authors will retain full rights to their works. No author will be able to win more than one award in one calendar year. If no submission is felt to meet the requirements, the award will not be issued in a given year.
These awards are privately established and awarded by Dr. Robert & Elma Schemenauer. They are not created by the Interior Authors Group of Kamloops. However, they are exclusively for members of the IAG and are given to help support and recognize writers in Kamloops and area.